Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Wings and That Call

I'm going to go there, eventually, bear with me.

The Wings played pretty badly last night.

Howard was decent - he continues to surprise me. I was not on Team Howard at all. AT ALL. I was stoked when he was a prospect because he played so well at Maine, but for the Griffins? Yuck. I figured he'd make it ten games and we'd get Larsson. The few games he's played are not enough to evaluate him fully, nor to make an actual decision about how I truly feel or what the future holds, but he's not sucking. I don't think it's quite time to flip out and acquire a veteran. I mean, would Ozzie have played better in those last four games? Who knows?

Now, Jonathan Ericsson might actually think he plays for the other team most nights. How many assists does he have for opposing teams? He has at least one goal. Yes, Ericsson is the new Samuelsson. Hey, tangent! Zac and I had a Samuelsson theory: Every game in which Sammy scored a goal, the Wings would win. I need to do some research. Maybe there should be an Ericsson theory. Only I dislike Johnny. A lot. Your superhuman healing abilities and Swedish good looks do not make up for your mistakes. Mikael "shoots wide" Samuelsson just annoyed me. I know you're young, Johnny, but these are crucial mistakes that cannot keep happening. They can't. When they lead to a goal or more a game, you are a HUGE (figuratively and literally) liability.

Lebda is everyone's favorite whipping boy, but try to look at it more objectively, people. Bertuzzi too. Look, he's kind of a dick, I think we can all agree on that. But he's not as bad as you're all saying. Sorry, but there are NO "gimmes" in hockey. Todd Bertuzzi can't get no love. In a jillion shots on goal, he'll get one in. But he's shooting, playing aggressively, and genuinely seems like he wants to contribute to the team. Will I ever like him? Doubtful. But Jonathan Ericsson has to go. I'm ready to trade him. How about we call up a Griffin, (Kindl maybe?) and send him to the Wild for Robbie Earl? Yeah, I love Badgers and I love Robbie Earl. I am aware we need no forwards. I ramble. You know this.

Another issue I am having is that it really seems that in a lot of games, when the Wings have a lead, even just a one goal lead, they hang out at the half boards and discuss their weekend plans and let Z, Datsyuk, and Homer handle shit. Not good. In Gary's World of parity, all of these games are important boys. Where is the spark?

Now, let's look at the bright side. All of these games haven't been like this. Yes, the Wings have been plagued with injuries, so has everyone else. There have been bright and shining moments where everyone is playing hard. It's awesome. You have what it takes boys, you can do it. I have faith in you. Not every game is going to be a winner. I know the flu is going around, shit happens, whatever. I needed to get the rant out of the way first. This is going to be a tough season, every game is going to have to be fought out for sixty full minutes. I do think it will be a winning season, just not won the way we're used to seeing in the past several years.

But back to last night. Kind of a lackluster performance. Then Z scores and they get some momentum going. A good and actually entertaining fight between May and Barch. And then May scores a goal. Or, wait.



It's no secret that bad refereeing is the gold standard in the NHL. Every game I watch (and I watch most of them), even if I don't care who is playing, at some point, I am probably going to scream at my TV about a bad call. Especially if Brad Watson, Stephane Auger, or Dennis LaRue are involved. Hey, guess what? Dennis LaRue made that call last night. (Yesterday was a sucktacular day for refereeing, in case you missed this one). Nobody is saying that allowing that goal (that clearly WAS a goal) would have led to a victory for the Wings. Would it changed the momentum? Probably. We can't know how the game would have ended. Perhaps it would have been 3-2 anyway. Maybe it would have gone into OT, ended in a shootout, maybe Dats would have scored, who knows? But that was a goal. Just like this was a goal.

How much of this are we going to see this season? Why even bother reviewing the play and getting on the horn with TO if it doesn't even matter. This is covered here and here please note this part: Rule 78.5 Disallowed Goals: (xii) When the Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle. Retarded. Intent to blow. Watch the video again. Unless he was psychic, he did not intend to blow his whistle to end play. Or he decided the play should be stopped while May was shooting. And the INTENT part didn't even come up until today. Last night it was just the whistle was blown. Yeah, WELL after the puck was in the net.

Now I know referees are just human, prone to errors. And I'm not saying this is just against the Wings, not at all. This is a huge problem in this sport. New viewers frequently tell me that the rules are complex and they don't get it. Yeah, dude, me either, and I've been watching hockey for ages. This is just the most glaringly obvious bad call I've seen. I am pretty sure I would have felt that way if it had happened to ANY other team in the league, even that one. This has to be addressed by the league and the players association before nobody even cares anymore. It's a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment