Friday, December 18, 2009

Superstitious Much?

I have touched on my sports superstitions in a previous post, but let's revisit, shall we?

I've always been extremely superstitious about everything, but sports takes it to a whole new level. The luckiest shirt on the face of Earth is my away Favre jersey. I guess it's vintage at this point. I got it for Christmas in like 1995 or something. It's the real deal, not the el cheapo version. This jersey took the Packers to the Superbowl twice. If I wear it, they win. Even Favreless. Which reminds me, I should probably wear that the next two (hopefully more) weeks.

Hockey is another beast. Someone on A2Y theorized that in order for your particular superstition to work, the whole thing hinges on whether or not all the other fans have stuck to theirs. It's a delicate balance, one can't stray from what is working or it might throw the entire team off. People who are not hockey fans might think this is insane, but it seems perfectly logical to me. Somebody dropped the ball after game five of the SCF, and if I find you, I will kick your ass. I'm the one who had to wear my stupid ass Twilight shirt (don't judge) underneath my Wings hoodie in freaking JUNE for the good of the team. Oh and the only beer that was able to be consumed during games was Labatt Blue regular or light. I never strayed from doing my duty. I even ate Little Caesars which is totally not as good as it used to be before their "it's $5, get it now, yo" promotion. Pizza Twins used to be the shit. I love the Ilitches so whatever, I'll eat shitty Little Caesars.

So this year I've been trying out new traditions because a) I am not wearing the Edward Cullen shirt for another year and b) regular season is a good time to start fresh. Plus I got an Yzerman and a Zetterman during the off season. Things proven to work: Deacon's almost too small Superman shirt with the #19 ironed on the back (at his request). This shirt is magical and was worn during the Zetterberg hat trick. I will make him wear this as long as he fits into it. Both the Yzerman and the Zetterberg seem to work. My comfortable, yet not fashionable fleece Grinch pajama pants work, and it will not be my favorite thing ever if I have to wear them in the summer. But I will. For my team. And let's be real, at this point, I'll wear a parka in June if we make it to June.

Things proven not to work: Wearing the winged wheel on off days. Bad mojo this season. Wings gear on game day only. Off days are for whatever else. Wearing a jersey on an off day pretty much assures a loss the following day. Wearing the maple leaf works to make the Leafs win (I did it for you Dagny), although it could possibly have angered the Hockey Gods so I will not be tempting fate anymore, not with nine starters out. We shall see what plays out. Something is screaming at me to get a Tomas Holmstrom jersey. Perhaps that is the missing element of the season. Zac doesn't believe in any of this. He thinks it's horseshit and that I am insane to even entertain these ideas. He refuses to participate (maybe you are the one who threw everything off, fan wardrobe is essential to a hockey team's success). Maybe I'll just get him a Franzen jersey so the point will be moot, because it probably isn't doing the Wings any favors if you're rocking a Fedorov in 2009 (and I love Fedorov, so shut up).

So let's discuss the injuries/crimes against the Hockey Gods: We've already discussed the Leafs jersey incident. I'm not going to explain it further, I have many jerseys, it's a collection. And okay, maybe I shouldn't have posted the No Limits commercial. Everyone who appears in it (except Lidstrom) is currently injured. Also, in A2Y's "who will get injured next?" contest, I chose Hank - he was injured 2 days later. Now don't be hating on me. I do not have super powers, at least not of that variety. If I did, the Penguins would be in last place, my novel would be #1 on the NY Times best seller list for the last 200 weeks, and I would be independently wealthy. If you are still superstitious enough to believe that I DO have that kind of power, I ask you to meditate on the word POWERBALL for either Saturday or Wednesday and when I win, I will finance A2Y's entire April trip. Yes, for everyone.

Why am I writing all of this down? Because for a minute there, when I was pondering all of this while driving home this afternoon, I almost believed it.

5 comments:

  1. Superstitions are for the weak.

    I didn't use a single finger on my right hand to type that sentence, or this one.

    No right hand typing on game day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich thinks it's horseshit too, which is why he ate MY PIE during the World Series. Because yes, baseball freaks are freaks too.

    Too small Superman shirt- cut up one side and under the arm and attach frogs to hold it "closed."

    ReplyDelete
  3. They lost BECAUSE he ate my pie. If he had stayed away from the frigging pie they would have won.

    Bitter? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @IwoCPO Use your right hand today. Maybe the left hand is the unlucky one.

    @Julie I still blame it on the fucking pie. I'm bitter too because I hate the Yankees. HATE. Even more now because of the Granderson thing. Assholes. No pie for Rich next year.

    ReplyDelete