Friday, October 3, 2008

Dictators

I had every intention of keeping this blog a politics free zone when I started it. But I just can't leave this one alone.

Dictators suck. I think I am overstating the obvious on that issue.

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry:
dic·ta·tor
Pronunciation:
\ˈdik-ˌtā-tər, dik-ˈ\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Latin, from dictare
Date:
14th century

1 a: a person granted absolute emergency power ; especially : one appointed by the senate of ancient Rome b: one holding complete autocratic control c: one ruling absolutely and often oppressively
2: one that dictates

The definitions in bold are particularly disturbing to me. And why I am not a fan of dictators.

Let's take a look at Merriam-Webster's definition of dictatorship:


Main Entry:
dic·ta·tor·ship
Pronunciation:
\dik-ˈtā-tər-ˌship, ˈdik-ˌ\
Function:
noun
Date:
1542

1: the office of dictator 2: autocratic rule, control, or leadership 3 a: a form of government in which absolute power is concentrated in a dictator or a small clique b: a government organization or group in which absolute power is so concentrated c: a despotic state

Hmmm... Interesting. Which makes the following video a tad baffling and all kinds of WHA? HUH?

For reals? Fascinating. We'll get back to that.

Famous Dictators Throughout History (current dictators included):
Joseph Stalin
Saddam Hussein
Fidel Castro
Adolf Hitler
Ayatollah Khomeini
Mao Zedong
Kim Jong Il
Manuel Noriega
Benito Mussolini
Idi Amin
Pol Pot
Muammar Abu Minyar al-Qadhafi
Pervez Musharraf
Slobodan Milosevic
Nicolae Ceausescu
Chiang Kai-shek
François Duvalier
Ho Chi Minh
Raul Castro

Wow. Those are some awesome guys. I can see how one would aspire to be like them.

Here's Sarah Palin talking some shit about dictators and how evil they are and how Obama is a moron for wanting to talk to them (I am paraphrasing of course and I left in my boyfriend Joe Biden for some sanity in bizarro world):





Okaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy. I'm confused. The McCain administration wants to deal harshly (or not at all) with dictators yet McCain himself has always aspired to be one? Weird. He is a "Great American" but he wants to grow up to be a dictator? Super! I thought most great Americans wanted to grow up to be astronauts or doctors. Dictators, huh? I must totally not have my finger on the pulse. I hope my kid does not want to grow up to be a dictator. I am kind of hoping for "I want to be Spider-Man or Sidney Crosby," not "Mama, I want to be just like Kim Jong Il when I grow up." I'm sorry you guys but I am having a really hard time wrapping my brain around all of this.

I may be a brainless radical left wing tree hugging wannabe hybrid driving formerly pot smoking social program loving PATRIOTIC idiot but I don't want to live in an autocracy with a DICTATOR ruling me. And with all due respect, I can't see how any respectable right wing fiscal conservative family values Christian, whatever label you want to give yourself person on the other side of the fence would either. I think that is something all of us can agree upon. Pass it along to your friends. People need to see this.

Okay, hopefully that is the first and last political post of this blog (but I suppose, don't hold your breath).

Stay tuned for topics such as Jean Claude Van Damme, Edward Cullen, Clowns, WWE, cheesecake, Heroes, Project Runway, and Skateboarding.

1 comment: